“This chicken dish is designed to be approachable to every customer in our dining room," says Anthony Bucco, executive chef of Uproot in Warren. "It's my nod to comfort food, One truly finds the elegance of this dish in its simplicity. The trick is to articulate the individual parts to create one amazing entrée.”
Do you like this story?
Roasted Chicken with Carrot Purée, Roasted Root Vegetables, and Tarragon Jus
6 medium carrots
2 tablespoons salt
2 medium-sized parsnips
1 knob celery root
4 oz. butter
2 oz. thyme
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
16 oz chicken stock
2 oz. fresh tarragon
1 onion, sliced
1 cup white wine
1 oz. grapeseed oil
4 chicken breast; skin on
Tip: Substitute baby carrots instead of larger “horse” carrots. They’re much more desirable!
1. Peel and halve 4 carrots and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in a saucepan, and just cover with water. Season water with salt, about 2 tablespoons.
2. Bring water to just boiling, then reduce to a simmer. When carrots start to break down and can easily be puréed with a spoon, remove from heat. Strain off, but reserve, the water.
3. Add carrots and 3 oz of butter to a blender and purée. Adjust thickness of the purée with the reserved cooking liquid; for a smoother purée add more water. Adjust seasoning and reserve.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel the remaining 2 carrots, 2 parsnips and celery root and dice into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Toss with 1 oz. thyme, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Roast for about half an hour, or till vegetables are fork tender.
1. Sweat the sliced onion in 1 tablespoon of oil.
2. Add white wine and reduce by two-thirds.
3. Top with chicken stock and reduce by two-thirds. Adjust seasoning.
4. Finely chop tarragon and add to sauce.
1. Heat a sauté pan over high heat.
2. Add grapeseed oil and chicken breasts to pan and reduce heat to medium, giving chicken a good sear.
3. Cook chicken 80% of the way on the skin side, flip over add 1 oz butter and 1 oz. thyme, baste till chicken is cooked through.
4. To assemble entrée, place the carrot purée on the bottom of a bowl, top with the roasted root vegetables and the chicken breast, pour sauce over the top.
Spicy Sausage Crostini
Grilled Shishito Peppers with Sharp Provolone and Red Wine Vinaigrette
New Jersey Asparagus with Speck and Poached Egg
Hair of the Dog
Scallops and Risotto