"I serve this dish with potatoes, crusty baked bread or hand-cut noodles. They all go with it wonderfully."
3 lbs beef shoulder –cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups red Burgundy wine
4 garlic cloves – crushed
2 sprigs fresh thyme
½ stick butter
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs flour
1 onion- chopped
1 carrot- chopped
8 oz bacon – chopped
12 medium shallots – peeled
24 button mushrooms – left whole
1) Place the meat in a bowl with the wine, garlic and thyme. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
2) Preheat oven to 350.
3) Drain beef – reserving the marinade
4) Dry beef with paper towels
5) Lightly season beef with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with flour
6) In a cast iron casserole (I love my Le Creuset), fry the beef in ¼ stick of butter until brown. For better results, fry in two or more batches, so beef doesn’t steam.
7) Deglaze with the marinade, scraping all the bits off the pan.
8) Keep on a low simmer.
9) In a separate pan, sauté the carrots and onions in 1 tbs butter until soft, about 10 min. Then add to the beef.
10) Cover and cook in the oven 2 hours. Check every 30 minutes. If it looks a little dry, add 1/4 to 1/2 half cup of water, chicken stock or beef stock. Don’t add wine at this stage because it will not have enough time to cook properly. When done, remove from oven.
11) In a clean frying pan, add the remaining butter, bacon and shallots and cook until the shallots are soft, about 10 minutes.
12) Add the mushrooms and cook about 4 minutes more, or until mushrooms are browned.
13) Add to the casserole. Cover and bake 30 minutes more. Serve immediately.Click here to leave a comment