6 oz. Caciocavallo cheese*
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves sliced garlic
1 sprig mint
¼ cup Sambuca Romana
Fresh cracked pepper
*Available at Italian specialty stores
1. Slice the Caciocavallo into four half-inch thick pieces.
2. Heat a 10-inch nonstick sauté pan over high heat and add the oil and heat it until it begins to smoke.
3. Carefully lay the Caciocavallo pieces into the hot oil.
4. Do not be tempted to turn the cheese before it gains a noticeable crust on the bottom. Then turn the cheese slices with a pair of tongs or a fork carefully to brown the other side.
5. Once the cheese is turned over, add the sliced garlic and sauté to a light golden brown.
6. Pull the pan far away from the stove.
7. While standing back, add the Sambuca and carefully return it to the stove. The pan will flame dramatically
8. Season the cheese with pepper, then tear the mint leaves into the pan.
9. Place the golden cheese and all of its sauce onto warm plates and serve immediately.