“My interest in this flavor combination stemmed from a ‘trail’ [a brief, unpaid stint, usually in a highly-regarded kitchen] I did at Jean Georges. They were doing an appetizer with corn, mushrooms and asparagus. I later decided to use those ingredients, but with a couple twists—using dried porcinis and adding the shrimp.”
Serves four to six people
16 large shrimp
1 tsp. ground dried porcini
16 asparagus spears
¼ cup shallots
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup julienned shiitake mushrooms
¾ cup charred corn
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp white truffle oil
1) In mixing bowl, add 3 tbsp olive oil to the asparagus, coating them well; add salt and pepper to taste.
2) Grill until tender.
3) In large sauté pan, add remaining oil. Season shrimp with porcini dust, olive oil, salt and pepper.
4) When pan is hot, add shrimp, turning each side after 30 seconds. Remove from pan.
5) Add shallot, shiitake mushrooms and corn; sauté.
6) Add heavy cream and let reduce.
7) Add truffle oil, salt and pepper to taste.
8) While sauce is reducing, cook shrimp in 400-degree oven 3 minutes.
Place four asparagus spears on plate. Place four shrimp on top of asparagus.
Pour the ragout over the shrimp.