Zattar spice blend
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 shallot, minced
2 tb red wine vinegar
1 tb lemon juice
1/2 tsp honey
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
4-5 cups vegetable oil
12 oil-packed anchovies
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup breadcrumbs
Flatbread, pizza crust or pita
1 cup cooked chickpeas (dried or canned)
1/3 cup feta, crumbled
1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup assorted radishes, sliced thin
1 cup Brussels sprouts, uncooked, sliced thin
1. Whisk zattar, oregano, shallots, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey and olive oil
in a medium bowl to form a vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a deep, heavy pot until fry thermometer reaches 350-375 degrees.
3. Pat anchovies dry with paper towels.
4. Place flour in one bowl, whisked eggs in a second, breadcrumbs in a third. Have a clean platter ready.
5. Dredge anchovies in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, toss with breadcrumbs. Place on platter.
6. With a sieve or slotted spoon, carefully place anchovies in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.
7. Warm flatbread, pizza crusts or pita in oven, grill or toaster oven until fairly crisp.
8. Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Carefully tear warm breads into bite-size pieces and add to bowl. Add zattar vinaigrette and toss. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve, topped with fried anchovies.