For 4 people
16 ounces shredded Chihuahua cheese (available in Latin markets)
4 medium potatoes
1. Peel and wash the potatoes, then boil in salted water until tender.
2. While potatoes are boiling, remove skin from the links of chorizo and crumble the meat into a sauté pan over low flame. Sauté until the fat is rendered and the chunks and bits of chorizo are well cooked.
3. Drain the potatoes, then stir them into the pan with the cooked chorizo and its released oil. Gently break the potatoes into pieces with a spoon as you stir. Stir until the potatoes and chorizo are incorporated into a rough purée. Adjust seasoning with salt.
4. Warm a heavy, cast-iron skillet on the stove over medium heat, then add the shredded cheese and melt.. Meanwhile, turn on your broiler so it can reach proper temperature.
5. Add the potato and chorizo mixture down the middle of the skillet.
6. Place the skillet under the broiler for about 2 minutes. Be careful: If you overbroil the cheese, it will break and the fat will separate.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.