This afternoon, Governor Phil Murphy announced that limited indoor dining will no longer resume later this week, as planned.
Last week, Murphy signed an executive order that allowed indoor dining—forbidden in March as part of the pandemic lockdown—to resume statewide on Thursday, July 2 with seating capacity restricted to 25 percent of normal. After seeing Covid-19 cases spike in other states driven by, in part, the return of indoor dining, Murphy has decided to postpone indoor dining indefinitely. Outdoor dining, permitted since June 15, is still allowed.
“We have been cautious throughout every step of our restart. We’ve always said that we would not hesitate to hit pause if needed to safeguard public health,” said Murphy in a statement shared on his social media accounts. “This is one of those times.”
Murphy added that his decision was also driven by the “complete disregard for social distancing” and “very few, if any, face coverings” seen in establishments around the state.
“I recognize that there are many more establishments whose owners, managers, and customers have been responsible, who have lived up not just to the guidance we’ve released, but to the spirit of community in helping to protect patrons and residents. The carelessness of one establishment can completely undo the good work of many others. We will not tolerate outlier bars and restaurants—and, frankly, patrons—who think the rules don’t apply to them,” said Murphy. “Compliance isn’t a polite suggestion. It is required.”Click here to leave a comment