Last week, in preparation for this blogpost, I interviewed Salvatore Minardi, master hairstylist, colorist and owner of Salvatore Minardi Salon in Madison. I knew he could tell me about the newest, chicest fall hairstyles because he’s the only New Jersey stylist on the board of directors of Intercoiffure America/Canada, an international hair dressing organization founded in Paris in 1925. Intercoiffure is an influential organization in 50 countries and only leading hair salons can qualify to become members.
The hippest, freshest looks this autumn involve glamorous retro styles and a lot of hair play … cornrowing (braiding close to the scalp to produce a continuous, raised row), twining (twisting and coiling hair), ruffling (wrinkling and crumpling locks) and ruching (creating a soft, pulled-out braid).
Besides this season’s obsession with manipulating curls and locks, there’s also a big push for unexpected color accents and ombre color gradation.
One of the most intriguing new professional products on the market is Aqua’s brand new Halo human-hair extensions.
“I’m particularly excited about Halo extensions,” Salvatore says. “These will be very big because they not only add dimension, but they can give new life to a thinning head of hair, especially around the face frame. Best of all, we can match any woman’s natural color or give her a pop of color in a fashion shade. This gives our clients, as well as our stylists, great flexibility creatively because Halo extensions can be purchased in our salon in one, two, three or four packages, depending on needs and budget. And they can easily be removed and re-positioned.”
Salvatore shared his must-try list of the top five hottest hair trends for Fall 2017:
- Experiment with a modern take on retro Hollywood glamour looks of the 20s and 30s.
- Try special effects like cornrowing, ruffling and ruching.
- Make hair appear longer by taking rows of short hair and twining them from the forehead to the crown for a regal “Athenian” look.
- Use texturing/styling products (matte or shine pomades) to give hair a contemporary “bedhead” look.
- Have fun with Aqua’s new Halo extensions. Available in natural shades like brunette, blonde and auburn, they add length and volume to those with thinning hair, and create more movement. Also try them in dramatic shades like pink, lilac and teal.
Beauty tip: You can visit Salvatore Minardi most days in his salon (8 Park Avenue, Madison; 973-443-4455) … or see him at Neiman Marcus Short Hills every other Friday from 11 am – 2 pm in the cosmetics department. Have your makeup done at the counter and then hop in Salvatore’s “satellite” chair for complimentary fall style tips and a sample blowout with Dyson’s new super-powerful hair dryer.
Click here to leave a comment