Located just south of Sandy Hook, this trendy shore town is among the northernmost of Jersey beaches. There’s plenty to do along the sandy blocks of Ocean Avenue.
1. Shot Through the Pallet: Elements (1072 Ocean Ave, 732-842-1100), an Asian-fusion style restaurant popular for its posh architecture and chic feng shui atmosphere, intended to incorporate the five elements: water, wood, fire, metal, and earth. This steakhouse and lounge hot spot is owned by Bon Jovi’s brother and is a dining hit.
2. Bait Bites: Surround yourself with beautiful docked boats while having lunch on the water at Ross’s Dockside (1400 Ocean Ave, 732-933-9400). Fun for the whole family is on the menu at Mad Hatter (10 E Ocean Ave, 732-530-7861), a pub that offers arcade games, beer towers, and the best pizza in town. Cool off at McLoone’s Rum Runner (816 Ocean Ave, 732-842-2894), known for its popular piano bar. You can also check out the extensive Sunday brunch menu (with unlimited mimosas). In September 2007, McLoone’s Rum Runner became the second restaurant in the state (after McLoone’s Pier House in Long branch) to be Certified Green by the Green Restaurant Association.
3. Catch a Wave: Splash into this one-stop surf shop (Island Style Surf Shop, 1032 Ocean Ave, 732-842-0909), filled with gear for all sandy activities, including surfing, skim boarding, or just plain swimming. Log onto islandstylesurf.com to catch the daily-posted surf reports.
4. Tiki Time: Home to the only beach bars in Monmouth County, Sea Bright offers live music, palm trees, and island-inspired drinks at several venues for the barefoot and shirtless. Donovan’s Reef (1171 Ocean Ave, 732-842-6789) hosts out-door volleyball and live bands and has a dedicated frozen drink area just steps from the ocean. A few blocks away is Merri-Makers (1465 Ocean Ave, 732-842-1714), which regularly blares reggae music and serves pink rumjambie drinks (their secret recipe) under palm trees that will have you second-guessing your day-trip destination.
5. Mind, Body & Beach: You can breathe in the deep salty shore aromas with Brahma Yoga (1050 Ocean Ave, 732-224-9004), or indulge in one of the many treatments at Brahma’s Holistic and Ayurvedic Spa. Prefer to workout to the views of the Atlantic Ocean? Try Adrenaline (1054 Ocean Ave, 732-212-0230), a personalized health club (opened, July 2007) located right over the Rumson Bridge.
6. Bark N’ Park: Let the leash loose at Sandy Paws (1062 Ocean Ave, 732-495-7297), a doggie day care facility open from 6:30 am to 8 pm and ready to entertain your four-legged friends for the day.
**Check out all our day trips for tons of great ideas on places to go and things to do!Click here to leave a comment