Dr. Leon Smith, the Roseland-based founder of the Leon G. Smith Infectious Diseases Foundation, offers this advice:
• Use an insect repellent with DEET.
• Stay inside with air-conditioning on and windows shut.
• Repair or replace damaged screen windows and doors.
• Camping out? Use a mosquito net.
• Cover strollers or baby carriers with mosquito netting.
• Mosquitoes thrive in standing water. Clear roof gutters and get rid of old tires, empty urns, open garbage cans, or anything else that can collect water and become a breeding ground.
• If you are in a Zika-endemic area, wear long sleeves, long pants and wide-brimmed hats.
• Pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant should avoid going into Zika-endemic areas.