Beginning March 26, the 160-year-old nautical relic welcomes visitors to climb 199 steps to the watch gallery and take in the panoramic views.
The present tower, which is the third documented lighthouse at the southern tip of New Jersey, has been an aid-to-navigation for mariners and attraction for visitors since it was built in 1859. More than 2.5 million visitors have climbed the lighthouse since it opened to the public in 1988. For those who choose not to climb, the Oil House on the grounds contains a fully accessible Visitors’ Orientation Center and Museum Shop carrying souvenirs, books and maritime items. The state park offers many amenities for nature lovers and family fun.