Twice a year, including this month (Oct 14–15; 800-726-9966 ext 836, atlantiquecity.com), the Garden State is home to Atlantique City, billed as the world’s largest indoor antiques show. But whether it’s Stickley furniture, architectural engravings, or lampshades you’re after, you can get your antiques fix year-round. Call before you visit, and keep in mind that many antique shops are closed on Monday and Tuesday.
1. LAFAYETTE/ANDOVER Lafayette Mill Antiques Center, 12 Morris Farm Rd, Lafayette, 973-383-0065; millantiques.com. Huge multi-dealer center just off Route 15; café on premises for breakfast/lunch. Scranberry Coop, 42 Main St (Rt 206), Andover, 973-786-6414.
2. HOPEWELL/SOMERVILLE Tomato Factory Antique Center (Hamilton Street, 2 blocks off Broad St/Rt 518), 609-466-9833. Hopewell is a great side trip if you’re in Princeton or Lambertville; this multi-dealer space, a tomato cannery in the 1800s, has been in business since 1962. To the southwest a little over fifteen miles away, in a town that now offers a lot of antiquing and restaurants, Somerville Center Antiques boasts dozens of dealers. 34 W Main St and 9-17 Division St, 908-595-1294.
3. LAMBERTVILLE Through Christmas, the towns of Lambertville and New Hope, PA, are hosting Second Saturdays, where all shops are open until 9 pm, and special themes are offered, such as music nights and medieval nights. Coordinate your visit to coincide with the Lambertville House Tour (Oct 22, 11 am–5 pm, 609-397-0770) or the Taste of Lambertville (Nov 10, 6–-9 pm, lambertville.org, 609-397-0055). America Antiques & Design, 5 S Main St, 609-397-6966, americadesigns.com; nineteenth- and twentieth-century artifacts, paintings, furniture and more. Broadmoor Antiques, 6 N Union St, 609-397-8802, rossiart.com; ten galleries with antiques, decorations, and fine art. Golden Nugget Antique Flea Market, 1850 River Rd, 609-397-0811, open Wed, Sat, Sun, 6 am to 4 pm. 60 shops inside, 250 outside tables, plus a restaurant. No. 63, 63 Bridge St, 609-397-2121, sells period art, antique furniture, vintage jewelry and clothing, and children’s toys. Orchard Hill Collection, 22 N Union St. 609-397-1188, has a mix of antiques and reproduction pieces and specializes in Dutch colonial furniture. People’s Store Antique Center, 40-plus dealers, 28 N Union St, 609-397-9808. Rago Arts & Auction Center, 333 N Main St, 609-397-9374, ragoarts.com. This is not a shop, but you may know of David Rago, who is seen frequently on the TV show Antique Roadshow as an expert appraiser; he holds 12-15 sales a year, including this month’s Sollo Rago Modern Auction Weekend (Oct 21–22, previews begin Oct 14), next month’s Lalique and fine art auctions (Nov 17–18, previews begin Nov 11), and December’s jewelry and extraordinary objects auctions (Dec 9–10, previews begin Dec 2). River Road Antiques & Lighting, 1874 River Rd (Rt 29), 609-397-0027, 6,000-square-foot barn/showroom.
4. FREEHOLD/ASBURY PARK Freehold Antique Gallery, 21 W Main St, Freehold, 908-462-7900. Studebaker’s and Rumble Seat Tearoom, 1201 Main Ave, Asbury Park, 732-776-5565; Antic Hay Books, 721 Cookman Ave, Asbury Park, 732-774-4590, antichay.com
5. RED BANK Antique Center of Red Bank (three locations), 195B W Front St, 732-741-5331; 195 W Front St, 732-842-3393, 226 W Front St, 732-842-4336. Riverbank Antiques and Interiors, 169 W Front St, 732-842-5400. Gas Light Antiques, 212 W Front St, 732-741-7323; Antiques Corner, 65 Broad St, 732-450-0054; Tower Hill Antiques & Design, 147 Broad St, 732-842-5551
6. KEYPORT Keyport Antique Market, 17-21 W Front St, 732-203-1001.
7. POINT PLEASANT BEACH Pt. Pleasant Antique Emporium, Bay & Trenton Aves, 732-893-2222; Back Street Antiques, 1000 Trenton Ave, 908-714-9296
8. ALLENHURST Shore Antique Center, 413 Allen Avenue, Allenhurst, NJ 07711. 732 531-4466 www.shoreantiquecenter.com
9. BURLINGTON Historic Burlington Antiques Emporium, 424 High St, 609-747-8333; High Street Exchange, 337 High St, 609-239-3044
10. MULLICA HILL Old Mill Antique Mall, 1 S. Main St, 609-478-9810; Yellow Garage Antique Marketplace, 66 S. Main St, 609-478-0300 (Tracy Dodge and Steve Lipman, proprietors); Follow the Yellow Brick Road, 34 W Main St, 609-478-6137; Debra’s Dolls, 20 N Main St, 609-478-9778
11. PENNSVILLE/SALEM Graystone Corner Antiques, 87 N Broadway, Pennsville, 856-678-3234. Dreams Old and New, 134 W. Broadway, Salem, 609-935-2904; Hassler Antiques, 311 Craven Ave, Salem, 856-935-8772; Woodnutt Country House, 29 Market St, Salem, 609-935-4175Click here to leave a comment