2 lb maitake (hen-of-the-woods) mushrooms
4 cups panko breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
3 scallions, chopped
3 cups cashews (soak overnight)
Rinse with cold water
2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup water as needed
½ cup grated horseradish (more if you like spicier)
2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 tb red wine vinegar
1 tsp baking powder
1) To make the horseradish cream, soak cashews in water overnight, rinse with cold water, drain, then put into a strong blender such as a VitaMix.
2) Add lemon juice, horseradish, 4 tbs water and purée till smooth. Add water as needed to achieve a smooth consistency. Add salt to taste.
3) Chill half an hour before serving.
4) To make fry batter, mix flour, 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt, red wine vinegar and baking powder until smooth.
5) Pull apart mushrooms.
6) Dip in fry batter
7) Coat in panko breadcrumbs.
8) When oil reaches 350, deep fry mushrooms until golden brown. Drain, pat dry.
9) Place mushrooms in a bowl, toss with salt and pepper.
10) Arrange mushrooms on a plate and sprinkle with chopped scallions.
11) Serve with horseradish cream.