2 Tbs olive oil
2 Fennel bulbs – minced
2 Celery stalks – minced
Salt and pepper – to taste
12 oz chopped white fish ( striped bass, cod, etc.)
8 oz jumbo lump crab
8 oz chopped shrimp
8 oz chopped scallops
2 cups aioli (recipe follows)
5 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made in a processor from Italian or French bread)
2 tbs chopped parsley
2 tbs chopped celery leaves
1 tbs chopped fennel fronds
Butter as needed
1) Heat the oil in a sauté pan
2) Under low heat, sweat the fennel, onion, and celery until soft (about 15 minutes)
3) Cool and place in a bowl. Add all the fish and shellfish. Add the aioli and herbs.
4) Add the bread crumbs, about a half cup at a time until the batter is firm but still very moist. It should take about 11/2 to 2 cups. Place the remaining crumbs in a pan for coating the fish sticks.
5) Form the batter into rectangle blocks about 3 inches long and ¾ inch wide.
6) Coat well in the crumbs and pan fry in butter until golden brown on all sides.
7) Place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately with aioli on a bed of fennel marmalade.
8 cloves garlic – rough chop
salt and pepper – to taste
4 egg yolks
juice of 2 lemons
4 cups canola or vegetable oil
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1) In a mortar add garlic and a large pinch of salt. With a pestle work it to a smooth paste (this can also be done in a food processor). Transfer to a bowl.
2) Add the yolks. Using a small whisk add the vegetable oil in a thin stream, whisking to form an emulsion (mayonnaise).
3) Then add the olive oil. Adjust flavor and acid by adding lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
4 fennel bulbs – small dice)
1 Spanish onion – small dice)
3 tbs canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs fennel pollen (optional)
1) Add oil and vegetables to a pan. Over very low heat sweat the fennel-onion mix until very soft (about 2 hours).
2) The fennel will have a jam-like consistency when finished. Adjust salt and pepper and add the pollen (if using).