When Carrie Locklyn isn’t starring on HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, the Cape May native is revisiting her Jersey Shore roots, designing homes and hotels and staging properties in North Wildwood and Wildwood Crest. Below, some of her best advice for elevating your abode.
1. Organization is key. Create a home for everything.
2. Don’t let design break your heart. Social media is for aspiration and inspiration, not duplication or imitation.
3. Can’t choose a color palette for your home? Open your closet and check out favorite colors in your wardrobe.
4. Don’t hide bananas in the corner. Display fresh produce as you would fresh ﬂowers.
5. Not everything on your wall has to be in a square frame. Break out curvy hats, ropes and baskets.
6. Refresh a space by shopping your own home. Snag throw pillows from your bedroom or a lamp from your den. Get creative with what you have already paid for.
7. When in doubt, bring the plants out.
8. Choose a single light-bulb temperature (soft, warm, natural, bright) and stick with it.
9. Mix up styles, ﬁnishes and shapes to add interest and personality.
10. Take comfort in knowing that, much like ourselves, our homes are never finished. They are works in progress.
Follow our style editor on Instagram (@susanbrierlybush).
Click here to leave a comment